Having toned muscular legs is the dream, but achieving it takes much more than dreaming. Unlike people with thicker body types who can quickly reach their leg goals with a decent amount of exercise, skinny girls tend to have a hard time gaining and sustaining weight.
To get bigger legs for skinny girls, you would have to focus on strength-building exercises like squats, leg press, stiff-legged deadlifts, and walking lunges. You might also want to keep cardio and aerobics to a minimum. A healthy diet of carbs and proteins would be a plus.
If you want to learn how skinny girls can increase their leg size, then you’re in luck because we’ll be discussing that today. This article will tell you:
- The best foods for bulking up your legs
- Best exercises for bigger legs
- Tips for bigger legs
The Best Foods for Bigger Legs
It might seem unconventional, but to achieve your goal of having bigger legs, consider committing to a diet of 250 to 500 calories over your recommended daily intake. The excess calories provide the energy for workouts, and your legs need them to bulk up.
To achieve your calorie surplus, consider consuming healthy sources of carbs, proteins, and fats. These are some healthy foods you might want to check out.
Carbs and Proteins
You’ll meet your daily carbohydrate recommendation by consuming:
- sweet potatoes
- kidney beans.
You’ll also need to supply your body with sufficient proteins to effectively grow your muscles since they are made of proteins.
- chicken breast
- Greek yogurt
- turkey breast
Fat is an essential constituent of a balanced diet necessary for healthy living. Fish can be a great source of the healthy fat you need, and vegetable oils like almond oil and olive oil are also excellent sources.
You might want to steer clear of fast food and unhealthy eating patterns. Consider including supplements like protein powders, creatine monohydrate, or caffeine to help you meet your protein requirements and energize your muscles to work for longer. Since the FDA doesn’t regulate these supplements, they might contain over 100 toxic chemicals, so it would be best if you sought expert advice before use.
Note: in every meal make sure you have the 3 macronutrients protein, fat, and carbs
Best Exercises for Bigger Legs
Now you’ve covered your diet, the real work begins.
Not all exercises are compatible with your goal of bigger legs. The best form of exercise for muscle growth is strength training. The stronger your legs are, the easier it is for them to bulk up. You might want to consider lifting weights to help your leg muscles grow. Most of these exercises don’t require any gym equipment, so that you can follow the workout at home.
Here are some of the best exercises for leg muscle growth.
Note: If you really want bigger legs you have to develop your strength, a good way is by doing more than 3 sets per exercise, (or what we call Supersets) increase reps-weight in every set.
Squats gained insane popularity for helping to grow and shape the butt, but it can also be great for your legs. It targets the quads — a large muscle that occupies the front part of the thigh.
How to Do Barbell Squats
- Stand up with feet hip- or shoulder-width apart.
- Lightly point out your tips
- Descend keeping your back straight like you are trying to sit.
- Stop the descent when your legs are parallel to the ground.
- Slowly rise, ensuring your back remains straight.
Start with 3 sets (weight and reps you feel most comfortable with), however, a goal for you should be doing Supersets after you feel stronger and confident.
An example should be something like this:
|Set 1||10 lbs.||10 reps|
|set 2||10 lbs||12 reps|
|set 3||10 lbs||14 reps|
|set 4||10 lbs||16 reps|
|set 5||10 lbs||18 reps|
|set 1||10 lbs||10 reps|
|set 2||20 lbs||10 reps|
|set 3||25 lbs||10 reps|
|set 4||30 lbs||8-10 reps|
|set 5||35-45 lbs||6-10 reps|
Leg presses are great for those hard to reach muscles of the leg and thighs. It requires using a leg press machine, so you might have to visit a gym for this.
How to Do Leg Press
- Sit comfortably on the leg press machine. Some machines require you to recline on your back.
- Put your feet hip- or shoulder-width apart.
- The same as Squats lightly point out your tips
- Slowly down the platform (keep your butt and back against the seat all the time)
- Slowly return your legs without stretching the knees completely.
You can start with the weight and reps you feel most comfortable
Follow these examples:
|Set 1||25 lbs||10 reps|
|set 2||25 lbs||12 reps|
|set 3||25 lbs||14 reps|
|set 4||25 lbs||16 reps|
|set 5||25 lbs||18 reps|
|set 1||25 lbs||10 reps|
|set 2||35 lbs||10 reps|
|set 3||45 lbs||10 reps|
|set 4||50 lbs||8-10 reps|
|set 5||60 lbs||6-10 reps|
Stiff-legged deadlifts are great for toning the hamstrings. The hamstrings are the group of muscles that form the calf. It’s also great for your lower back and butt. This exercise helps you achieve bigger, toned calves. You can do it at home if you have dumbbells.
How to Do Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
- Stand upright with your feet at shoulders width apart.
- Use both hands to hold a dumbbell in front of you. Direct your palms towards your body.
- Contract your core and bend over at your waist to bring the dumbbells over your feet. Ensure your back remains straight throughout.
- Slowly return to an upright position while contracting your hamstrings and squeezing your glutes.
- Keep your core contracted and repeat (4-5 sets x 12-15 reps)
Lunges are great for building leg and butt muscles. You don’t need any gym equipment, and you can do it at home.
How to Do Walking Lunges
- Stand upright.
- Place your hands on your hips (in case you start without weight)
- Contract your core muscles and step forward with one leg.
- Lean forward like you want to kneel and stop when your knee forms a right angle.
- Slowly return to the initial position to make another step with the other leg.
- Recommended 4 laps of 16-20 steps
- Add weight when you get the correct form, you can use, barbell, plates kettlebells, or dumbbells.
Complement your routine with these alternative exercises (leg workout)
Tips for Bigger Legs
There are a few things to consider when setting up a workout schedule for bigger legs. Exercises like cardio and aerobics are counterproductive — they burn out fat to reveal a lean muscular physique underneath. While you might not want to cut them out completely, consider keeping them at a minimum.
In a bid to achieve bigger legs, there’s a tendency to neglect other body parts. You might end up with a disproportionate body if you focus solely on one body part. Women need a well-proportioned body to function normally.
Set days aside to focus on your arms, abdomen, chest, and back. It would be best to take some time to rest in between training specific muscle groups. Your muscles take this time off to rest, heal, and grow.
To achieve the best results, you might want to accompany your exercises with lifestyle changes. You could incorporate sufficient rest. Don’t overwork yourself; work your way up the exercises. Please eliminate alcohol and smoking and turn to healthier stress-relieving activities like meditation, music, or a new hobby. A healthy lifestyle complements your new body for your overall well being.
Don’t give up. You’ll only see results when you’re committed to the process. It might take a while longer for skinny girls to see results, but they’ll come along soon enough.
Gaining muscle is sometimes thought to involve only excessive exercises, but you might want to consider a holistic approach involving a healthy diet and lifestyle changes to achieve your goals.
Here is a rundown of the post:
- Get healthy nutrition from whole foods that are a bit above your recommended daily amount.
- Incorporate strength training and resistance exercises that target your leg and butt muscles.
- Cut down on aerobics and cardio exercises that burn out fat to give lean muscles.
- Pay sufficient attention to other body areas like the back and shoulders to produce a balanced look.
- Anabolicans: Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift 101 | Form, Benefits, and Variations!
- Healthline: How to Gain Weight in Your Legs with Diet and Exercise
- Betterme: Skinny Legs Big Upper Body: Here’s The Fix You’ve Been Looking For
- Bonytobombshell: What Every Naturally Skinny Woman Needs to Know About Exercise